Answered By: Gabe Gossett Last Updated: Jan 14, 2016 Views: 251
How to locate and view WWU ebooks
You have two options you can browse the ebook portal or, for a more refined search, look in the library catalog. How do you search the catalog for ebooks?
Let’s say you need something current in the field of psychology? From Western Libraries Home . . .
- Click on the "Library Catalog" link.
- At the "Advanced Keyword Search" page jump down to "Material Type" and click "e-book"
- Up above enter your search parameters (maybe "psychology") and click!
- Click the link called "Connect to this title online," follow the verification process and you’re ready to read the book.
- Click button below to see an example title:
- Want to download a copy? An unlimited number of people can download an ebook at the same time for offline viewing for up to 7 days. Want to know more about how it works with your device? Check out our guide that describes how to do so on a Kindel, Nook, or iPad.
More about our ebook collection
You’ve been reading reports and hearing news about how popular title e-books are outselling traditional print copies by a significant margin at Amazon, Barnes & Noble and other online vendors.
Until recently that trend seemed less apparent among academic publishers. But now, with buzz everywhere about e-books, e-book readers, and apps for tablets that enhance e-book access it appears we’ve reached a tipping point in academia and, more particularly, on our campus where more and more faculty are asking the library to purchase e-book editions whenever possible.
But also, over the last several months your library has been quietly participating in a very successful pilot program with our Summit partners to make thousands of e-book titles instantly available to you. Of the 36 partners that kicked in cash to start this project use by Western’s students and faculty ranks 4th - just behind the "bigs" like UW, and the U of O.
The coolest thing about all these recently published titles is that there is no limit to the number of simultaneous users that can have access to these books. In essence they are never checked out and always available to you! 3 a.m. and you’re hammering away at that paper? No worries. Always available!