Answered By: Robyn Adcox Last Updated: Jan 13, 2017 Views: 4
Western Libraries provides access to ebooks from several vendor platforms via the OneSearch Catalog.
Each platform has their own access & downloading formats.
Always sign in to the Western Libraries OneSearch for full access to all of our collections, including Ebooks and full text journal articles.
When searching OneSearch for a specific book title or subject,
the results will indicate if the title is only online or also online.
To learn how to limit your search to only look for Ebooks, use the guide
"How do I locate ebooks in OneSearch?"
Ebooks are accessible by clicking the 'access options' button beneath the book title,
author information, format, and availability status. One or more link options will appear
to access the ebook.
Some ebook platforms, not all, require you, the user, to create a password within their system, which is different from your "My Western" login. This enables you to read it online, or download chapters or the entire book for a limited time. Most ebooks or ebook chapters can be temporarily downloaded for offline reading, some for up to 7 days.
Ebook Platforms: The library subscribes to several Ebook vendors. EBL and Ebrary are the two major vendors. Additional vendors are: Adobe Digital Library, Content DM, Oxford Reference Online, ACLS Humanities E-book
When accessing an ebook from your institution’s library catalog, the tabs on the book details page provide information about the title:
- Details – View title information
- Contents – Navigate the table of contents
- Bookmarks – Access any bookmarks or notes you may have created in previous sessions
Use the buttons above the tabs to:
- Add to Collection – Add a title to a personal collection
- Email a link – Email a durable URL to yourself or someone else
- Cite this book – Copy a citation, or export to RefWorks or Endnote/Citavi
Click the Read Online button to open the ebook in the EBL Online Reader, or click to access a specific chapter or section from the table of contents.
Ebrary Ebrary help online
note: Ebrary requires you to set up a password
Ebrary allows you to: read the book online, download the entire book or book chapter,
add to your bookshelf, share the link to the book, and cite using different citation styles.
To download the book (available for 14 days), just click the link from Western Libraries catalog
To download a chapter: open the book online, select a chapter in the Table of Contents,
and click the "Download Chapter" button
Downloading to a mobile device:
ebrary offers a number of options to download content for offline use on your computer and other devices.
Users can download a book for offline reading on either their tablet or phone (iOS and Android are supported) using the independent, highly rated Bluefire Reader for mobile devices (freely available for iOS devices in the App Store and for Android devices in Google Play).
Using Ebrary with Assistive technologies
If you use assistive technologies such as screen readers, ebrary offers accessibility mode for easy of navigation. In accessibility mode, some display pages show more or less detail and check boxes have been adjusted for ease of use.
To turn on accessibility mode:
- Go to the site and click My Settings in the top right corner.
- With the Settings tab selected (the default), scroll down to Choose your accessibility mode.
- Click the Display pages in accessibility mode check box.
- Click Set Preferences
Accessibility mode results in a number of changes that are not explicitly highlighted in this Help system.
Changes to advanced search, the Search page, and the Bookshelf are most noticeable.
Note: If you need a screen reader enabled for ebrary QuickView, see your librarian.
See Enabling the Screen Reader for additional information
- Add the document to your bookshelf.
- Click the Bookshelf tab.
- Click the File this book button to the right of the document title.
- Select the check box that files the book and all its annotations, or select one or more check boxes for filing individual annotations, then select the check box for the folder or folders to which you want to move the selection and click Move
To remove a book from a folder
- Tab to the red check box next to the book and select it.
To reorder folders:
- In the Bookshelf tab, change one or more numbers in the boxes to the left of the folder name.
- Click Reorder folders
- How do I get books sent to me if I am an off-campus student?
- Can I link to an ebook for my class?
- How do I know if a book I would like the library to purchase is available as an ebook?
- How does Western Libraries provide me with access to ebooks?
- Can I access online materials from home as a community member?
- As a Whatcom resident and Bellingham library holder can I check out ebooks?