Answered By: Hacherl Research & Writing Studio
Last Updated: May 12, 2017     Views: 49

The copyright owner has the right to be paid for public performances of their work. This includes showing a film, for example, but there is an exception for use in a face-to-face classroom. Most films that Western Libraries purchase come with a license explaining what rights are granted. If you wish to use a film in some venue other than a face-to-face classroom (for example, a club meeting, or a showing at a conference), contact the Copyright Coordinator to see if it is permitted by the license. Otherwise, you might need to contact the copyright holder and the Coordinator can help you with that.

For more information, consider this page from the American Library Association on Public Performance Rights.

Live Chat

Related Topics